Understanding Algorithmic Bias – What's Behind a Web Search?
Part of the Academic Adulting workshop series.
We go online every day, but we do really understand why we get certain results? Learn about algorithms—the invisible computer formulas that shape our online experiences, control the search results we get, and perpetuate bias and discrimination. You will walk away with a better understanding of how to critically evaluate your search results.
No previous knowledge of computer coding needed.
- Explore how algorithms shape our online experiences through filtering.
- Reflect on the role of algorithms in daily life.
- Identify the potential causes of algorithmic bias and some preventive strategies.
SPuRS Credit: Personal and Interpersonal Knowledge
Presenter: Dianna Sachs, Health and Human Services Librarian
- Thursday, October 13, 2022
- 4:00pm - 5:00pm
- Classroom A (Waldo 1070) (Map )
- Waldo Library
- Dianna Sachs